Saturday, January 05, 2008

Some Many People to Hate, So Little Time

The Misanthrope was supposed to be in San Francisco for his best friend's birthday today but he is not.  Instead, he is wired with coffee and working on about three hours of sleep (due to a very enjoyable night with Mano, the Scottish Lass and her lovely friend from London who is staying with us this weekend) and muttering under his breath about never flying Delta again.

My flight this morning to SFO was cancelled due to the crazy weather that has been battering California.  The equipment for the flight never made it out of SFO last night.  Obviously, Delta (an acronym for Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport) called all of the passengers last night and told them the flight was cancelled, right?

Uh, no.  They told me at the airport, where I had arrived on time at 7 AM because nobody had called me to tell me the flight was cancelled last night.

So I called Delta to re-book the flight.  First, I spoke to some guy in a call center in India who asked a lot of questions, took up about 10 minutes of my time and then said, "Okay, I will now transfer you to somebody who can make the booking."

Then I spoke to a woman who had clearly lost her lust for her work a long time ago.  She put me on hold for 12 minutes and then came on to tell me she had my flight rebooked for tomorrow...except, wait, no, sorry, that flight is actually sold out.  It seems that all the people Delta DID call last night took advantage of the early notice about the flight cancellation to rebook, eating up all the seats on the other flights.

Then, my cell phone dropped the call.

I worked it all out eventually, although I will not get to SF until Monday, but along the way I got to hate so many people.  To borrow a phrase from the late, great Bill Hicks, I am a camel of hate and today I was able to fill my hump to capacity.

No comments: