Thursday, June 29, 2006

Six Degrees of Shame

Jackson recently posted in defense of his love for questionable metal bands like Saxon. This brought back many fond memories of devouring the latest issue of Guitar for the Practicing Musician. In particular, it reminded me that I would often learn the solos and parts for songs I had never heard - usually by bands like Krokus or Accept. I remember the first time I heard "Mr. Crowley" by Ozzy. I already knew how to play it. Weird.

Anyway, Jackson, our bad tastes have a scary intersection. It turns out that in 1984 one of the members of Saxon went on the road with prog supergroup GTR. GTR was the unholy pairing of Steve Howe from Yes and Steve Hackett from Genesis. I bought the record. I saw the concert.

My shame knows no bounds.

3 comments:

Tony Alva said...

I was unaware of this GTR and like the Rose Tattoo record Jackson is so hot on, I will HAVE to find a copy to get familiar. It's gotta be good with Howe/Hackett right?

Dave Cavalier said...

How could it not be?

Jackson said...

Must have been the drummer.