Thursday, July 20, 2006

Dalai Lama

I just came across this interview with the Dalai Lama from London's Daily Telegraph.

There were two paragraphs that had my jaw on the floor.

The first one -

Although he is known for his tolerant, humane views, he is a surprisingly harsh critic of homosexuality. If you are a Buddhist, he says, it is wrong. "Full stop.
No way round it.
"A gay couple came to see me, seeking my support and blessing. I had to explain our teachings. Another lady introduced another woman as her wife - astonishing. It is the same with a husband and wife using certain sexual practices. Using the other two holes is wrong."


I had to read that one a couple of times to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting it. I really had no idea that Buddhism had any prohibitions against homosexuality.

The second one -

The Dalai Lama is no innocent when it comes to realpolitik: he regularly chats to Nelson Mandela, debates ethical issues with the Pope, and knows many world leaders personally through his attempts to highlight the Tibetan cause. Although he appears not to approve of the war in Iraq, he nevertheless admires President Bush.
"He is very straightforward," says the Dalai Lama - and it's clear that this is high praise indeed. "On our first visit, I was faced with a large plate of biscuits. President Bush immediately offered me his favourites, and after that, we got on fine. On my next visit, he didn't mind when I was blunt about the war. By my third visit, I was ushering him into the Oval Office. I was astonished by his grasp of Buddhism." (emphasis added).


Who knew that Bush was such a keen student of Buddhism?? Or that the Dalai Lama admires him?

Curiouser and curiouser...

5 comments:

Tony Alva said...

Who knew that Buddhists were as boring in bed as actual practicing Catholics?:-)

I almost beleive that the story is made up it's so shocking to me really.

Jackson said...

I am a very confused man.

Jackson said...

Are you sure it wasn't the Delay Lama, or the Deli LLama?

Sam said...

i just make a post about this topic.. can help jackson since hs is confused. :-)

said...

And don't eat the garlic and onion dip, YOU SINNER!!!!!!!!!

Ya gotta remember, Hello Dali IS a
"Big Wheel" Buddhist.
Moi 'twas a "Little Wheel" Buddhist for decades.

At least he ain't a NomiyohoRingayjeeho Buddhist;
The Jehovah's Witnesses of the Buddhist world.

Stay on Groovin' Safari,
TOR