Thursday, November 06, 2008

This Is Going To Kill New York

Bloomberg is being honest about his plans to raise taxes in New York City.  I admire the fact that Bloomberg is not sugar-coating the situation and that he is taking action now.  

Unfortunately, the proposed increase in the income tax will absolutely destroy this city.  I already have the pleasure of paying an additional 3.7% on top of my nearly 6.85% New York State tax just for the pleasure of living in a city with horrible public schools, decaying roads and insane cost of living.

Few people love New York more than I do.  It's my birthplace and my home and I get a little crazy if I am away from it for too long.  But if the income tax goes up here and Obama raises my federal taxes and my payroll taxes, I am really going to be forced to leave the city and possibly the state.  The most realistic possibility is New Hampshire, where there  is no income tax but where I can get to Boston and New York with relative ease.

I have long defended New York's insane costs as the price of the city's amazing vibrancy, but I think we have reached the tipping point when I am paying over 11% of my income just to be here.  I wish I were just speaking hyperbolically, but I'm afraid that I have already started to look into where I would move.  It's just too much after a while.


7 comments:

Tony Alva said...

Brutal dude...

You won't leave though, nobody leaves NYC. If you do, and are looking for a big house with a swimming pool, cheap golf, and many other fellow Red Staters to chill with, GA is the place to be!

Dfactor said...

Please come to Boston for the springtime
I'm stayin' here with some friends and they've got lots of room
You can sell your paintings on the sidewalk
By a café where I hope to be workin' soon...
Please come to Boston

Dfactor said...

That's why I'm goin to Katmandu, it's really where I'm goin to,
and if I ever get out of here,
I'm goin to Katmandu.

Dfactor said...

By the time you get to Phoenix,
I'll be senile.....

Anonymous said...

Cool it with your love of New York stuff. That love obviously has a price tag.

Dave Cavalier said...

Hey Anonymous -

Fuck you. Try living here for 39 years before you say a word to me, fucknut.

Dave Cavalier said...

Guys like Anonymous above are the kinds of idiots I meet in New York all the time here. They grew up in East Bumblefuck, they come to New York and live here for a month and start calling themselves New Yorkers. They seem to think that overpaying for things and being inconvenienced all the time is somehow the essence of being New Yorkers. It's not.