Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Silverchair Hanson

The Misanthrope saw his older, nicer brother this weekend.  Let's call him "Fill."

At any rate, Fill was in town as he was interviewing for a job in Delaware (Motto: "We Know It Seems Weird But, Yes, We WERE A Slave State") and figured that he would swing through the Big Apple.  It's the 300th anniversary of our high school, so Fill also went to homecoming to pick up a medal for...um...winning the "Best Senior Athlete" trophy 25 years ago.  I'm not sure what the whole thing was all about either, but my brother still takes great pleasure in knowing that John McEnroe, who was a few years ahead of my brother at the school, didn't win it.

The more exciting part of the weekend was the transfer of my old Rickenbacker 330 to Fill for transportation down to North Carolina.  I am loaning this cherished piece of Moneyshot history to my 12 year old nephew.  Fill has three sons and the eldest two are just at the age where they are starting to get into rock.  The middle boy is already playing drums, having received a starter kit this Christmas.  The oldest now has an electric guitar.  I'm just waiting for the youngest to be big enough to hold the bass and they will be ready for Uncle D-Funk (their name for me) to teach them side one of 2112.

Oh yeah!!!

2 comments:

Tony Alva said...

"I am loaning this cherished piece of Moneyshot history to my 12 year old nephew."

I'm assuming the key word here is "loaning". Kid's got to earn a choice instrument like that. Once he can "Passage To Bangkok" flawlessly I'd be willing to part with it permanently. Sort of like the snatch a pebble from my hand type of thing.

I assume your holidays went well? This meltdown causing you any concern at work?

Dave Cavalier said...

Biotech got whacked in 2007, so this is all old news for us. We've mostly been working on a few names where we really have something interesting in the science and we are trying to get them across the finish line.

I doubt I'd ever just gift the guitar to him. If he is seriously and learns the into to La Villa Strangiato, I'd probably consider helping him out with the selection and purchase of his own guitar.