Monday, February 04, 2008

Laughing in Her Sleep

A commenter on Stink Rock quoted the old Microdot song "Biltmore Clock" (I'll post the song if somebody tells me how) in response to a mention of Bill Boggs.  The song was my homage to growing up in New York in the 1970s and 1980s when, let's face it, the place was an open sewer - but an open sewer with a heart.  Anyway, the commenter was right to connect the name to the song, but the New York television presenter was not the person I was naming in the song.

She was actually a homeless person who slept on a grate on Second Avenue in the 1980s who became a test case in the Koch administration's attempts to commit mentally ill homeless people.  For some reason, that affair was New York in a nutshell for me.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for those days in New York.  No, I don't want to return to the days when the subway cars were covered in graffiti and God knows what else.  But something wonderful got sucked out of the city during those final years before a massive new tide of wealth turned it into the yuppie playground it has become.  If you can believe it, when my parents moved into our new apartment in 1977, the landlord gave them two months free rent as an enticement to sign the lease.  Looking back, there's no way that my parents could give us the life we had back then at today's rates.  For a brief period, the inmates were running the asylum and it was CHEAP.

So here's to all the old head shops on every corner, the Irish bars with briskets from the Eisenhower administration still stewing in a steam plate, the Monkey House at the Central Park zoo, the big yellow cabs, the jazz clubs that once ran along 54th Street, where I grew up, the crazy drummer in Central Park who spray painted his hair black (yes, he was real, not just a character in "Taxi Driver"), and all the other wonderful old school New York things that were dead and gone by 1990.


5 comments:

Tony Alva said...

Great post... You can always upload "Biltmore Clock" at Badongo and drop a player into the margin of your blog. It's takes a bit to set it up the first time, but after that it's pretty smooth.

BTW, while in toewn last week I sniffed aroound S&M for a copy of the Microdot record(s?) and came up empty handed. I remember Machold bringing by a copy and playing it for us back at the Hope St. studio. It was slammin'. Where do I get a copy of that shizzle?

Dave Cavalier said...

Send me your address via email and I will send one to you.

Unknown said...

Hi Dave -- First time caller and original Stink Rock commenter John here.

I did realize that the Billy Boggs cited in your song was not the former WNEW-TV presenter himself (the "Biltmore" Boggs is "laughing in HER sleep," after all). I wasn't aiming for accuracy, just thought you and Mike would get a kick out of the reference.

Nice thoughts about '80s NYC. I was tucked safely away in the Bronx for most of it, so while the stew is familiar, the flavors were slightly different. I wish I had experienced Central Park and those 54th street jazz clubs on a more regular basis.

And the 'Mats at the Ritz, natch.

Cheers, rolling on....

stinkrock said...

Beautiful post. I'd love to hear more about the New York of you New Yorkers' childhoods.

Dave, there are a number of sites that temporarily host uploaded files for free. i've used megafileupload.com but badongo.com has a much better name.

Jackson said...

Yeah Dave, uh, that's nice and all, but, like, you've totally destroyed that song for me, man.

Wow, lotta commas, huh?

Anyway, I'm telling Ace. He's gonna be bummed.

Pat, er, Tony, you didn't sniff hard enough, we have that shizzle, but you might be able to get a copy with the 'original packaging' as we say.

Maybe....

Love to Maggs....