Monday, February 18, 2008

The Power of Love

Dfactor's blog Waved Rumor is an excellent one-stop shop for all things rock related.  I stopped by there today and found this gem.

When I saw the date, I knew immediately that this was the series of concerts that my cousin Janie (pronounced, "JAN-EE," as it is short for "Janice" - she was named for the Misanthrope Mom) attended in 1977.  What makes the story legendary in our family, however, is that she was too young to go by herself.  Things were pretty loose back in 1977 in New York, but not all parents were okay with having a 12 year old girl go to Madison Square Garden to see KISS.  

The upshot was that my Aunt Phyllis, who must have been about 47 at the time, went to every concert and sat with Janie.  I can't even imagine what she must have made of this at the time.  Aunt Phyllis reached 21 years old well before Rock'n'roll got started.  Her teenage memories are of the 1940s and WWII.

Anyway, it's pretty amazing that she was willing to sit through what must have sounded like WWIII just so her daughter could go.

3 comments:

Jackson said...

I had to wait until 79 to see them, and when I did, my buddy's Aunt and Uncle took us. They were in their twenties, and big Who fans, so it wasn't such a major deal for them.

You could feel the heat from the pyro all the way in the back of the Garden.

I saw them again in 84. Gene ran out on stage and promptly fell flat on his ass. Classic. Vinnie Vincent made goo goo eyes at my buddy. Creepy. They closed with 'Won't Get Fooled Again' Cool.

I saw the reuntited Kiss when they first hooked back up with Ace and Peter. I'm convinced they were playing to tape - it sounded too good.

Tony Alva said...

I saw the first reunited Kiss shows and it sounded awesome, but I'm pretty sure they were playing.

On a subsequent tour I knew they were playing since Ace was definately being Ace and Peter was, well... you know.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is definitely the power of love that compelled me to sit through the mind-numbing hour and 14 minutes of the Hannah Montana movie with Mini-Alva. This will be one of the many sacrafices I will make in the effort to always remain the "cool mom".

Mrs. Alva
p.s. glad to hear Maggie's feeling better. Loved the picture. So cute!