Monday, October 20, 2008

The Mystery

Somebody needs to explain to me why Colin Powell is a figure afforded such respect.  He did a good job running the Gulf War, but since then I can't really point to anything impressive in his record.  What's more, he was at the helm of State during the disastrous first Bush term and he was the one making the case that there were WMDs in Iraq.  So, help me out here, why are so many on the left excited about this guy?

I'm sure he's a decent fellow, but I cannot for the life of me understand the political respect he gets.

2 comments:

Jackson said...

C'mon Dave, don't be silly; it's obvious why we're so excited to have him in our corner, it gives us national security and foriegn policy cred. His military cred sure beats McCain's.

The dude was put in a shitty situation after 9/11, he did his job. When it became obvious that he was being manipulated, he hung in instead of deserting his country in a time of need before ultimately resigning when it got ridiculous.

Dave Cavalier said...

I get why Democrats are excited, but when I look at his record, I don't see a guy who is very impressive. That was the point of my post. He gets all this respect, but his actual record after he left the military is kind of underwhelming.