Thursday, October 16, 2008

When Worlds Collide

In my haste last night, I forgot to list one of the other highlights of the trip.  That was when we passed by "Squirelly's Pizza" just outside Shreveport, Louisiana.

There were so many things wrong with that place it's hard to begin, but here's a short list:

1) Pizza in rural Louisiana
2) Pizza made in a doublewide trailer that also serves as the dining room
3) The large Stars & Bars that was flying just next to the entrance
4) The word "Squirrel" in the name of any food business

Still, I hear the "Meat Lover's Surprise" is fantastic.

By the way, if you are ever looking for a vintage car to rehab, I recommend trawling the backroads of Latex (that's Louisiana - Texas).  Almost every other house had two or three El Caminos or old Plymouths mouldering in the front yard.

2 comments:

Tony Alva said...

Amen brother, and it ain't just pizza in Lousy Anna either. There simply is NO good pizza south of Washington DC and even the DC pizza joints are weak in comparison to NY. There are many theories as to why decent pizza cannot be found outside of NY and Chicago, but none that really seem to make sense to me.

We've got MANY NY transplants down here and a couple of places owned by NYC'ers, but the pizza is not up to snuff. You guys have no idea how lucky you are.

Of course, if I could get my hands on NY pizza down here I'd put back on the 45+ pounds I've lost in the last eight months in a matter of weeks.

The Stars & Bars... The only thing good about the stupid rag is that it immediately delineates the owner’s character and can thus be avoided, ridiculed, and mocked. I think you’d be surprised at how little you’d see the Stars & Bars here in Atlanta.

BTW, I purposefully did not watch the debate last night. Wasn’t into making myself mad about it. We’re doomed and there’s little we can do about it.

Dave Cavalier said...

I did the same thing. I just got drunk and watched "The Wire" with Scottish Lass. I can't stand to listen to either of them anymore.

It's a sad day in American when a plumber named Joe from Ohio is the only guy who can talk sense about Obama's tax plan.