Monday, July 21, 2008

Speaking of Heartfelt Thanks

Many thanks to all of you for the kind words after every post on the status of Her Satanic Majesty, Maggie P Satanbeagle.  It's nice to know that she has a lot of supporters.

As an update, Maggie has bounced back totally and completely and is 100% her old self again.  She was last seen prancing around the apartment with a rawhide bone, looking for places to "bury" it.  Translation:  I will find it under my pillow later.

We took her and Wallace for a walk on the beach on Saturday and she enjoyed herself immensely.  One of our millions of nicknames for her is "HMS Determination" because of the hilariously purposeful look she gets on her face as she cruises down the beach.  Well, the Determination was at full steam again.

On the treatment front, we had minimal tumor progression again at the last check, so we will go back to the chemo regimen this week.  Her blood work actually rebounded enough last week that it was in the guidelines, but I wanted her to have a real break.

I rarely talk about my professional life here, but I will say that one of our portfolio companies has done me an incredible favor.  Their CEO gave Maggie's vet a free supply of a drug they are working on that is both a chemoprotectant (meaning it protects against some of the effects of toxic chemo) and a chemopotentiator (meaning it appears to amplify the tumor-killing effect of other chemo drugs).  I can't say that I know it will work or have an effect, but it was a gesture of incredible kindness and I can't thank him enough.  Hopefully, Maggie will experience what the human patients have, which is the ability to withstand additional cycles of chemo without the usual side-effects.

She is a fighter.  There is no doubt.  And it's a pretty nice thing to wake up in the middle of the night and have her asleep on top of my head in the bed.

4 comments:

Jackson said...

Great news! Beagle Power!

I'm sure that next to her defiant, determined nature, your love and care are major factors in her battle.

Pussy.....

Tony Alva said...

That is great news about the pooch!

You've not commented on what your gal pal thinks of these two hooligan hounds? Have they wreaked destruction on any of her belongings yet? "Yet" being the operative word here...

stinkrock said...

Ah, yes, the purposeful look in the HMS Determination's eyes. I love it.

"it's a pretty nice thing to wake up in the middle of the night and have her asleep on top of my head in the bed."

Funny, that's how my Penthouse Forum letter started...

Dave Cavalier said...

Mike, surely your Penthouse Forum letter started with "this never happens to me, but..."