Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Don't Fear Running with the Devil, That's All

Yesterday the Misanthrope drove his absurd pimp-car rental to Lexington, MA for a meeting. The original plan was to fly myself to the meeting because it was located less than 2 miles from Hanscom Field. As we all know now, God hates the Misanthrope, so after 5 days of perfectly clear, warm weather, we got rain and 600 foot ceilings.

During the drive, I was able to partake of the many classic rock stations in the New England area, including my old college favorite, 99.1 WPLR.

Here is a list of the songs I heard more than once over the course of 7 hours of driving, round trip:

1. Don't Fear the Reaper - 3 times
2. Runnin' with the Devil - 3 times
3. That's All - 3 times

The first two don't really surprise me. Reaper has been an FM radio staple for years, as has the Van Halen.

But "That's All"? Seriously? 3 times?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

the "genesis" "that's all"? Painful.

Chrispy said...

99 ROCK

W P L R

NEW HAVEN

Oh, how many times that blared out of the car radio in my formative days.

Remember HCN? CCC?

Classic rock has ALWAYS lived in Connecticut. Sounds like the playlists haven't changed.

Do you think Genesis will play "That's All" if they reunite?

Neither do I.

Jackson said...

How many 'More Than A Feeling's did you get? I rate classic rock stations on the Bostonometer. If I hear MTAF more than Long Time or Smokin I'll salp in a CD until I'm clear into the next radio market.

Dave Cavalier said...

No "More Than A Feeling." Those three songs are the only ones that I heard more than once.

On BOC, I'd love to hear "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" from the Heavy Metal soundtrack. I loved that song.

Yes, it was the Genesis "That's All." The self-titled record was pretty much where the lost me. There are some interesting moments, but "That's All" and "Illegal Alien" are pretty much unforgivable.

Dave Cavalier said...

We listened to 95.1 WRKI ("I-95")Brookfield when I was growing up. I can still sing the jingle for "Jewelry Designs," one of their most frequent advertisers.

In about 1985, I remember calling the station to complain about all this "Tears for Fears" crap they were playing. The lady at the station said she agreed, but this stuff was popular.

Jackson said...

Shout, Shout, Dave, Let it all hang out!

Mama and Home By The Sea are decent tunes off the self titled LP. Should have called it 'Nose Dive' or 'Gettin' Crappy'.

Dfactor said...

Why subject yourself to 'That's All' when you can have 'Free for All' 'Frankenstein' and 'Tush' at at XM Classic Rock radio?

Disclaimer: I don't work for XM, but I listen sometimes.

David Amulet said...

Don't you just love programming directors' playlists that lead to this insulting repeating of old tunes? On a DC station recently, I heard "You Shook Me All Night Long" three times in a day.

Three times!! In the words of the immortal Austin Powers, "Honestly!"

I grimaced when I hear "That's All," but I'd rather hear it 30 times than "Jesus He Knows Me," "Invisible Touch," or "Hold On My Heart" once more.

Ever.

-- david