Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Zen of Total Loss

The Misanthrope long ago resigned himself to the fact that God hates him. So it came as no surprise to him that the problem with the Misanthropemobile (see below) is a big one.

About $11,000 big, in fact.

For, you see, it seems that La Voiture Misanthropique suffered a complete and catastrophic failure of the engine cooling system, leading to irreparable engine damage. There is no fix. A new engine must be bought.

I will not be buying a new engine. We must all bid a fond "Adieu" to the late, great Misanthropemobile.

Now, getting a new car is a big enough pain. But I've also got to figure out what to do with the old car, especially since the dealer now knows I won't be providing him with any revenues.

I must say, with some shock, that I have remained bizarrely calm throughout this whole affair. And the people with whom I have had to deal have been remarkably nice.

I must be getting soft. Time to venture out into the Meatpacking District to restoke the flames of hatred.

8 comments:

stinkrock said...

fu-uck. sorry to hear it.

Let me know if you need help wheeling it out onto the west side highway at 5am, so morning commuters can share your frustration.

Dave Cavalier said...

Tony -

Thanks for the advice. I am going to rent a car for a month or so while I shop around for a new car. I will definitely take all the good advice to heart.

The dealer claims he doesn't want the car, which isn't surprising. He didn't sell it to me, never worked on the car and only got it because he was close to where it broke down. Also, dealers make money selling absurdly expensive new parts, not used parts.

Also, I am not buying another BMW. After the crappy service and attitude from Manhattan BMW and the fact that a perfectly good, 6 year old car died suddenly, and the fact that I hate the new body designs, I am looking at other options.

I am going to call a few salvage companies today to see if I can get a bid and a tow. The wheels alone are probably worth $1K in the aftermarket.

The other option is to donate to charity for the tax write-off. Tax write-offs are almost as valuable to me as cash.

It sucks, but I am going to take my time and get something really nice. I did spot one car while browsing on line. I know it is the end of the year and these guys will be looking to cut deals, so I think I am looking at a good time.

Jackson said...

Some more unsolicited advice, buy a new amp instead.

Dave Cavalier said...

I have a couple of salvage guys going to look at it.

One guy bid $2,500. Waiting on the other.

Book value now is about $12K in excellent condition. No value available if it has no engine!

It's a 1999 528iT Wagon with 108,000 miles on it.

Anonymous said...

dave - ran across your blog whilst trolling for show news, I appreciate the hit last week.. much sorrows bout the car.. I hope you get a good deal for it, if you decide to get a volvo, I know a good dealer up ithaca way who sells fine swedish bricks, with much room for amps in the back

all best

chuck

Chrispy said...

Yeah, get yourself a Yugo and a nice collection of Fender Blackfaces.

Trust me, the Fenders will last longer than any Beamer or Volvo. Thay have FAR beter resale value as well.

A good tape machine will go up in value. So will a couple of channels of Neve.

Cars? A fool's dream...

Chrispy said...

Yeah, get yourself a Yugo and a nice collection of Fender Blackfaces.

Trust me, the Fenders will last longer than any Beamer or Volvo. Thay have FAR beter resale value as well.

A good tape machine will go up in value. So will a couple of channels of Neve.

Cars? A fool's dream...

Chrispy said...

just call me "Johnny two times."