Monday, November 07, 2005

Kyiv Dispatch




Misanthrope has a brother. All of the genes our parents had that convey a general love of your fellow man were, obviously, passed to him. This left the Misanthrope with his black, empty, hollow soul. But the brother is a good guy.

He's currently living in Kiev, which, I just learned, is now spelled Kyiv.

Kyiv also happens to be the original home of Yasha, who taught me to play classical guitar. Yasha fled Kyiv when it was still part of the Soviet Union and has not been back since. At some point, I need to have him re-tell the story of his defection because it is pretty incredible. Of course, that was nearly 30 years ago and a lot has changed.

My brother is in Kyiv teaching at the University. His three sons are having quite an adventure. Two of them are pictured above standing in front of the 12th century church of St. Sophia.

Now that he is settled, expect updates from Ukraine from time to time.

2 comments:

Dfactor said...

The Florida brother from a few years ago? Wow! What an adventure for the kids!

Dave Cavalier said...

The same brother (I only have one).

I think the boys are going to have an incredible experience over there.