Friday, December 09, 2005

Wow.

Ted has expanded his thoughts and I am pretty surprised by the turn he has taken.

He accuses me of "mean-spiritedness," which I don't really see (although I am happy to be shown examples of it and apologize if appropriate). I address his issues specifically and disagree with many of them. Nothing in the post is presented with a sense of mean-spiritedness.

I certainly never wrote anything like this:

I was wrong about that, obviously Dave is very well read. Unfortunately he can't grasp what any of it means. He sees it as not useful, or inapplicable, and I think that is dangerous.

Or this:

When was your day Dave, the 3rd grade? My God, that statement is scary. So, what's next on the list Dave, shall we invade Russia during the winter?

I don't know what these emotional comments are meant to add, but since Ted is now taking the position that anybody who disagrees with his reading of history is thinking at the 3rd grade level, I am going to bow out of this discussion. I have no interest in this level of debate.

5 comments:

Chrispy said...

I think this is actually a lot like the boys and girls chasing each other around the playground - if you look a little deeper, it seems like love.

You two are so cute!

Please don't stop the discussions. We all really enjoy them far more than our dull day jobs.

(Also - Ted often likes to elicit reactions to his posts by going just a tad too far. It's like acting, and he's trying to give you a lot to work with)

Dave Cavalier said...

What really bummed me out was that Ted's original response had a lot of interesting points of agreement between us. Then the histrionics kicked in and I lost interest.

Jackson said...

I'm glad it's over Dave, I'm just too exhausted to continue. You, my freind, and I mean that from the bottom of my over-reactive soul, are a tough adversary.

Dave Cavalier said...

All -

Let's not blow this up into anything more than it is. I love Ted. I'm not angry or upset with him about his post. I just don't have any enthusiasm for the debate when it turns in this direction.

Seriously, no need for interventions or anything. Do you guys think I could have made it this far as a conservative at Yale and in New York without a thick skin?

stinkrock said...

Pussy.